House of Leaves

Go down

House of Leaves Empty House of Leaves

Post by Wallace on Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:14 am

<p>Okay Jammy Toefuck, I started reading this on your recommendation. Also seems everyone is going gaga over this book.</p><p><br></p><p>20 pages into it and hugely disappointed.</p><p><br></p><p>Lots of ancillary nonsense going on here: the secondary narration (which so far seems to have totally fuckall to do with the main story), the endless tedious footnotes (old gimmix supposed to evince realism)... I mean is anyone actually reading those nonsense footnotes?</p><p><br></p><p>Its an experiment - relying heavily on different layout of the printed word.</p><p><br></p><p>Gimmix like this rarely work. I love Italo Calvino's many (and varied style) books. But I find his gimmix books -his "experiments" the least fulfilling. In particular 'T-Zero" where the fantasy has attempts mathematical connection and "Castle of Crossed Destinies" where each chapter has Tarot cards thrown down and the story being derived by interpertation of the &nbsp;5 or 6 cards.</p><p><br></p><p><br></p><p>So &nbsp;far I see House Of Leaves as a sort of blend of the gimmix of Myst with avant writing.</p><p><br></p><p>He is taking quotes from Dante and lesser-known ancient writers but damned if I see them fitting with the narrative. its like he is just slapping them in to make himself look arcane &amp; erudite.</p><p><span id="sceditor-end-marker" class="sceditor-selection sceditor-ignore" style="line-height: 0; display: none;"></span><span id="sceditor-start-marker" class="sceditor-selection sceditor-ignore" style="line-height: 0; display: none;"></span><br></p><p><br></p><p>Worst of all, so far its a BORING read. For instance one full page mainstory goes on about the wife making &nbsp;candles with the kids whilst the counter narration is going on about a fucking water heater! I mean fuck that. If I want goddamn fill &amp; nonsense I will real Lennon's book or Dylan's "Tarantula".</p><p><br></p><p><br></p>
Wallace
Wallace
WALLY THE TOTAL FRIENDLY FRUITCAKE

Back to top Go down

House of Leaves Empty Re: House of Leaves

Post by Wallace on Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:19 am

See?
I can do strange layout as well.

And here is a totally blank page for you:

Holy Salvador Dali!    Aint I something!

B
                                        aggs
                                      istheMan

More
Wallace
Wallace

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:57 am

That's cool, It's not everyone that gets it. Exclamation

As Danielewski says @ the outset "This Book Is Not For You".........
Guess he was right in your case.

Try Marks other novel (The 50 Year Sword).
Shorter and much easier to follow.

Here's a quote.......

One sword will kill a season,
One will kill a country,
One I'm making now will even kill an idea. 

T50YS - Mark Z Danielewski.

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallace on Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:21 pm

If I continue to read this, can I ignore the Johnny Truant half? (Not interested in druggies & tattoo parlours, etc.)  Or does Truant take on the main House story later?
Wallace
Wallace

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallace on Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:37 pm

One reason I chose to try this book is that I love  gothics. More than one review praised this as being gothic.

Since when is contemporary, gothic?

The house - so far at least - has not been described as being particulrly old.
And its on Ash Street  - not some remote crumbling expanse .

Maybe later the INTERIOR of the house starts looking gothic???

WTF  fuck off.
Wallace
Wallace

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallace on Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:39 pm

And ,furthermore, there dont appear to be any indigenous characters or blacks or LGBTwotsit community.

Suspect
Wallace
Wallace

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:31 pm

Waldo persevere, and yup Johnny is a central character in the grand scheme of things, and yup you really should read the wee foot notes.

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallace on Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:40 pm

I said above that its sorta a mix of Myst with avant writing.
Wallace would like to add Blair Witch Project and Umberto Eco (I think he was a student of Calvino? Or the other way round.) to that.

Blair Witch because ,like the movie, great effort goes into making this story believable.

Like Umberto Eco (or Borges - another literary philosopher ) because....

well, because, here I give you an example of the ridiculous lengths Danielewski goes to:

At the very end of the chapter I just read an hour ago, the bookcase falls to the floor and KAREN SCREAMS.
So ,you are goaded , not into putting the book down and going to sleep, but continuing to the next chapter.

But not so fast reader-Jimmeh, Danielewski is out to fuck with you.

He does not return to the story for  14 THICK PAGES OF ERUDITE WANDERING!

HE STARTS EQUATING sPACE TO eCHO AND THEN JUMPS LIKE A TICK TO THE gREEK MYTH OF eCHO & nARCISSUS  and then to the lesser-known Echo & Pan myth then  Ovid's metamorphosis with a short side-step to Do Quixote (of course quoting in origional Spanish),then to Milton & Wordsworth on the power of SOUND, then explaining in detail SOUND & TIME = ACOUSTIC LIGHT  (or touch),and a long physics lecture/mathematical equation illustrating  enclosed space will increase sound pressure and raise frequency! All the time the COUNTER-NARRATIVE of Truant's going on in the bottom of each page (and, like I said, so far having nothing to do with the strange house story!

I mean, Jesus fuck!  Is Danielwski having it on with us??

Apparently not because everything is so impressively reasoned - that is if you have the time and will to work on it.

And ,like, you say, this is a difficult book which demands your effort; requires commitment andrumination.

Tailor-made for blokes like our lad Rudy, loikes.
Wallace
Wallace

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallace on Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:08 pm

1922 was published David Lindsey's novel , "The Haunted Woman" where the second floor  has three doors , one of which opens to a room which does not exist all of the time. 
Lindsay wrote the classic fantasy, Voyage to Arcturus.
Wallace
Wallace

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:15 pm

Rolling Eyes

House of Leaves F4810bc5b9f712b724553956bcb1b5ed

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content