THE CASUAL VACANCY (UK, 2015, 4 part (mini-series?)

Go down

THE CASUAL VACANCY (UK, 2015, 4 part (mini-series?)

Post by Wallace on Fri May 11, 2018 12:06 am

Third time Wallesch is watching this.
One of the best things I've seen come out of Britain in a long while.

This is the type of film no American could make.

I guessed correctly that this is the style of film that could only be written by a woman - and I was correct. From the novel by J.K. (Harry Potter) Rowling, screenplay written by Sarah Phelps.

Like a modern-day Dickens in that there are something like 24 reaccuring characters, yet you never get bogged-down - it all flows smoothly. Phelps did a wonderful job paring-down the over-400-page novel to a 3 hour film.

Barry (Rory Kinnear) is the village's Goodfellow; crusader,guardian for humanity. The seeming-sole force of good amongst all these selfish people. He is the lynchpin for possible future good, but he dies (of an aneurism) early in the film -and even earlier in the novel. He is the created "vacancy". The three males running for village Council are all pathetic and weak-willed. Easily manipulated by the Machiavellian, but charming Morrison couple (Gambon & wife, McKenzie). Progress is going to have its way and it will be no contest.

Julia McKenzie (Miss Marple) is magnificent in this.

A gentle, un-forced sadness runs through this story of idyllic , modern-day village Pagford and "progress" VS the poor.

Fine, clever soundtrack as well.

Highly, highly recommended.
Wallace
WALLY THE TOTAL FRIENDLY FRUITCAKE

Back to top Go down

Re: THE CASUAL VACANCY (UK, 2015, 4 part (mini-series?)

Post by Tippu Tip on Fri May 11, 2018 8:14 pm

This don't sound all that bad for a change, thanks Tramps.
Tippu Tip
INSANE BASTARD

Back to top Go down