Who wans hear me review of "The Show That Never Ends: The rise and Fall of Prog Rock" by David Weigel?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Who wans hear me review of "The Show That Never Ends: The rise and Fall of Prog Rock" by David Weigel? Empty Who wans hear me review of "The Show That Never Ends: The rise and Fall of Prog Rock" by David Weigel?

Post by Wallace on Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:05 pm

Careful.

Be VERY careful.
Wallace
Wallace
WALLY THE TOTAL FRIENDLY FRUITCAKE

Back to top Go down

Who wans hear me review of "The Show That Never Ends: The rise and Fall of Prog Rock" by David Weigel? Empty Re: Who wans hear me review of "The Show That Never Ends: The rise and Fall of Prog Rock" by David Weigel?

Post by Wallace on Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:47 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Wallace
Wallace

Back to top Go down

Who wans hear me review of "The Show That Never Ends: The rise and Fall of Prog Rock" by David Weigel? Empty Re: Who wans hear me review of "The Show That Never Ends: The rise and Fall of Prog Rock" by David Weigel?

Post by Engine on Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:22 am

Go for it , Cuntface ! 
cheers
 Better be good  though or I'll banish thee to Karnseville  !  Twisted Evil
Engine
Engine
BIGGUS DICKUS

Back to top Go down

Post by StevieWorcester on Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:26 am

Agreed......let's have it.

Does it include bio's on Prog Heavyweights such as ELP, Rush and Santana?

NECK BEARD GURU

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallace on Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:47 pm

Just out this yahre.
Haven't read it yet, muckers.
Said to be terrible. No mention of of least obscure bands. (Can you even have something that is "least obscure"?)
Notice the cunt has 21 photos including Styx,Rush and Asia.  Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes That speaks a lot right there.

He says it is a narrative history with him pulling mainly from "music publications that flowered in the late 60s to the first generation of rock journalists."
Wallace
Wallace

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallace on Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:48 pm

Prog heaviweights Rush & Santana - your really out to bait me, ehh, cocksucker.

Only Santana lp I would consider prog is "Caravanserai".
Wallace
Wallace

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallace on Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:07 pm

I got lotta leaves to rake outside but managed to read 20 pages.
Here is wot a ProgEarers guy wrote:

"I am already seriously pissed off. It is in places fairly trite, certain both supercilious and condescending, and it plays to tropes about prog rock and its followers"

I agree. Not learning much - we already have 4 or 5 prog books wot cover where the prog gods were born et al.
If you never read those (Macan, Stump are the best) I guess this primer suffices.

One funny thing I learned: Emerson fiddled about with his "tortured" L-100 hammond to get  those effects but could never figure out how Manfred Mann got the same Hammond to play so loud. But one day , just when the T-Bones were to go on prior to Manfred's act, he caught Manfred noodling with the the Leslie, turning it down!

An apparent mistake - but I need Karns to confirm - Weigel writes that Sinfield  got "...hired by supergroup Emerson , Lake & Palmer". That is a new one on me. I know Sinfield worked with PFM and was even on stage with them, but ELP?
Wallace
Wallace

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallace on Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:15 pm

We have seen this beefwhore - where a layman, someone just relatively new to prog, writes a book.
I'm not sure  Weigel is a relative newcomer, but, if not, it reads like he certainly wasn't into it deeply.

Really, look at it from this vantage point: the guy is in his late THIRTIES. He deffo did not live it.

Last edited by Wallace on Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
Wallace
Wallace

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallace on Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:21 pm

Let Wallace clear one thing up: I say above that Karnny-boyo would be better than I at clearing a certain FACT up. This is because I am a Masterman of Taste. Good taste is my forte.
Karnny is deeper into facts - even though by his own words he will insist he does not really care about a progstar's personal life ...or circumstances of death.

I don't collect things like concert stubs or music magazines ( I dont have a single prog book outside of the Swedish Encyclopedia of Prog)  but I bet Karns has quite a bit - Svet also likely has a stack of late 60s/early 70s fanzines or music mags.
Wallace
Wallace

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallace on Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:22 pm

Reading it now: its on origions and time-line history, not the music. I seem to recall the Stump book was like that only way deeper - into the  counterculture.

He goes quite a bit into Daevid Allen & Gong.
Wallace
Wallace

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallace on Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:38 pm

Wallace
Wallace

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:15 pm

Why don't a tru pwog meister like yourself take time away from this forum and write a prog rock book, could be a best seller.

Who wans hear me review of "The Show That Never Ends: The rise and Fall of Prog Rock" by David Weigel? 482417856

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallace on Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:56 pm

Nope. I wrote a fantasy novel instead.
Wallace
Wallace

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallace on Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:04 pm

No need for prog books to be written.
Already have sufficient books - 5 or 6, not to mention specialty books (Krautrock, RIO,Canterbury...)

But wot we DO needs is a book just on the obscure prog/psychs. 
But, takes A LOT of digging and no one would be interested in publishing it cos prog is a tiny, tiny microcosm in the real world of NIGGER. And a book on OBSCURE prog would serve an infinitesmally tinier microcosm. 

Even so someone DID take an interest in publishing:the Richard Morton Jack and Patrick Lundborg books have done just that - Endless Trip, Galactic Ramble and Psychedelica books are pretty deep and thick into the more obscure.

These books, unlike this Weigel primer, will alays hold their value.
Wallace
Wallace

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallace on Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:55 am

Iss fun to pick out errors in prog books:

"Hendrix's drummer Bruford"

"afro-fusion band, OsibAsa"

a technician under Wakie's HAMMOND "ready to fix broken hammers and ribbons"  .
Doh!   Prog keyboard basics #1: Hammond organs have tonewheels, not hammers. (That's piano, mister).  Tape "ribbons " are on a mellotron, not organ, Diplus.

Last edited by Wallace on Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wallace
Wallace

Back to top Go down

Post by Engine on Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:43 am

I was only joking,  cuntface.
 I ain't interested in the fucking least. 
 Hahaaaar  !  Twisted Evil
 Now you really look stupid eh ?
Engine
Engine
BIGGUS DICKUS

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:42 pm

Rolling Eyes

And you need to prove it do you?

Now who looks stupid!

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallace on Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:44 pm

Wallace
Wallace

Back to top Go down

Post by Leroy Brown on Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:36 am

Dirty Mexicoon, sooner Trump builds the wall da betta.

Aye Caramba.......
Leroy Brown
Leroy Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:28 am

Fuck Trump and all you Cunts who support him.

Only a fucking brain dead retard would fall for that con man Trump.

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallace on Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:27 pm

This is a prog thread!

Halfway thru the book.
Actually it is quite a fun read. The Macan and Stump books were more scholarly and better written.

But here he has amassed all the -beter-known - anecdotes etc from the old music magazines etc.

I'm enjoying this.
Wallace
Wallace

Back to top Go down

Post by StevieWorcester on Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:40 pm

Are you really enjoying it, or just sucking us in?

By mentioning 'Macan', are you referring to the guy that wrote the ELP 'Endless Enigma' book?

NECK BEARD GURU

Back to top Go down

Post by Engine on Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:46 pm

Who wans hear me review of "The Show That Never Ends: The rise and Fall of Prog Rock" by David Weigel? 1977987316
Engine
Engine
BIGGUS DICKUS

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum