THE LOBSTER (2015, Ireland)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

THE LOBSTER (2015, Ireland)

Post by Wallace on Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:21 am

This film is trying for surrealism but it fails on all front.
I guess it assumes that all one has to do to achieve surrealism is have a strange plot.
Weird is not necessarily interesting . As you learn quickly in this.

Its the near future and its a no-no to be single. If your single you are transferred to THE HOTEL. (Looks like there is only one hotel and its non-too big ,so you dont see this as a world-wide 1984/Brave New World type thing. (Nor does it look sci-fi-ish by any means.)
Once you are registered, you have to find a mate within 45 days or you will be transformed into an animal of your choosing. 
Yep, you heard it right.

Our hero wants to be a lobster cos a lobster can live 100 years and it remains fertile the whole time. The staff commend him on his choice, saying most folk want to be transformed into dogs and the world is over-run with dogs . But  all other species are on the serious decline.

This film is as NOT entertaining as your taste in music and film.
And, believe me, I find your taste very entertaining.
Wallace
WALLY THE TOTAL FRIENDLY FRUITCAKE

Back to top Go down

Re: THE LOBSTER (2015, Ireland)

Post by Wallace on Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:31 am

The film tries to be humorous in places in a dark, black comedy sort of way.  For instance our hero escapes The Hotel and in the woods - somewhat reminiscent to me of the scene in Farenheit Wotsit - he comes upon a community of loners living in the wild:
"Welcome. You can stay with us as long as you like. You can be a loner till the day you die. There is no time limit."

"Thank-you"

"By the way, any romantic or sexual relations between loners are not permitted and 
will be punished"

"Can I have a conversation with someone?"

"Of course you can. So long as there is no flirting or anything like that. That applies to dance nights as well. We all dance by ourselves. That is why we only play electronic music."
Wallace
WALLY THE TOTAL FRIENDLY FRUITCAKE

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top