KES ('70,UK)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

KES ('70,UK)

Post by Wallace on Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:22 pm

uk Public's darling film ,considered one of ten best uks ever - according to back of DVD case anyways.

Naturalistic acting, but, face it, anyone can make a film like this.

Billy-boyo, 10 yr old or summat, finds escape from his uncaring family, his dismal childhood by bringing up as kestrel and learning falconry. Good enough film, but for falconry read the T.H.White book.

Suppose many of you louts here rate this film cos of the predominance of  working-clarse Norf England boffin-yahoos on this forum.

"Oi yaou! Trooble art mill!"

Way, way overlong scene here wif just a rough wannabee Manchestah Oonitit phys-ed  instructor playing footy wif the lads.

But , goes to reason a scene like this is requisite in all air-head Yorkie movies.
Wallace
WALLY THE TOTAL FRIENDLY FRUITCAKE

Back to top Go down

Re: KES ('70,UK)

Post by StevieWorcester on Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:16 pm

It's an amazing film....quintessentially English.....and a time capsule cast in celluloid. I'm not surprised you can't take it in though.....how could a fucking red necked Moose-head understand it's many subtleties, FFS?

Probably best you stick with the Grizzly Joe movies.

NECK BEARD GURU

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallace on Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:01 pm

Ah...English are sucks for animal movies - Born Free and all that. (Truth be told, "Ring Of Bright Water" is a beautiful film.

What I did like about this film was that the boy was not completely centered-out as American film does to everything. This is one of the things you doubtl;ess mean by its being subtle. Its as if everyone in the film moves in his own little insignificant world. No one is important. We are all wee fish, but even so we do have our drives, our reason to carry-on.

Who are the norf Englanders on this forum, besides Ivor?

"THou never hath, and you and all. Dost know nowt bart that. I stick thee daahn Pit, me lad. "
Wallace

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallace on Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:16 am

Director Ken Loach on this film works in a way that is the exact antithesis of American-style cinematography ( also of European exaggerated films of the period).
First of all he is out for bringing HONESTY to a film; for capturing the moment truely honest & true.
There are many examples I could give, but here are just two or three:
1/ of course, the fact that he used real people from the area so as to ensure authenticity.What we have here is direct response: A cast of amateurs. He didnt bring in famous ,say, London actors falsly taking on the northern accent. Only ONE actor was professional. (The boy playing Casper was picked out of 30 children in the local school.And they were very lucky with this child "actor": the filming time was a generous 8 weeks (compared to BBC productions usual 3 weeks) and the boy himself actually trained the kestrel!). He used real people and didnt compromise in the least - the northern accent is heavy in this film and that means slicing one's own throat when it comes to exporting the film: Londoners would have trouble with the accent, nevermind a US audience. But when they wanted to force  subtitles on it, Loach was adamant. This is bringing honesty into the film so that what you get in the end is profounder.

2/ Like I said the  real boy actor trained the kestrel himself, so when he got the final end script and found out the bird dies, he questioned Loach saying "youre not really going to kill the bird afterall the  trust the bird gave to me?" Loach said no - a stuffed double would be used. When they filmed it however, when the boy reaches into the dustbin and pulls out the kestrel, he knew then and there that Ken had lied, this was the real bird in his hands. So Ken gets the true facial reaction on film  as the realization sets in. (As it so happened, not sadness, nor anger or shock, but..something else.)

3/ Loach would stand back and allow the amateurs their SPACE. Let things unfold naturally. Apparently no reheasals were used.
 (So, when I said that anyone could make a film like this, I did not mean it disparagingly. I meant that this simple, direct manner of film-making is the way to go. Overworking everything takes skill and lotta graft, but it doesnt necessarily deliver. What you get is...well American. The simple, unvarnished route is the best. People forget this.)
Anyways in the classroom/playground scenes, Loach would ask the children if they agreed with the script and the kids might advise him, "No, not at all. We dont speak LIKE THAT." And Loach would take heed of their advise. Amateurs, you see, but not  just extras .

Humanity, respect and sympathy for the actors & audience, that is one important facet of what Kes is about. A gentle, non-harsh but direct treatment - right down to the thick accent.

By the way, Ken Loach did the film "Up The Junction" before this, about the rebelliousness of Youth. It has a marvellous jazzy soundtrack by Manfred Mann which I heartily recommend.

2/
Wallace

Back to top Go down

Post by Jock Strapp on Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:37 pm

Jock Strapp
INSANE BASTARD

http://www.snakeoilaudio.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Permy on Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:47 pm

Wallace wrote:Ah...English are sucks for animal movies - Born Free and all that. (Truth be told, "Ring Of Bright Water" is a beautiful film.

What I did like about this film was that the boy was not completely centered-out as American film does to everything. This is one of the things you doubtl;ess mean by its being subtle. Its as if everyone in the film moves in his own little insignificant world. No one is important. We are all wee fish, but even so we do have our drives, our reason to carry-on.

Who are the norf Englanders on this forum, besides Ivor?

"THou never hath, and you and all. Dost know nowt bart that. I stick thee daahn Pit, me lad. "

North England! Set in Barnsley. About 20 mins on the train if that from us.

Permy
INSANE YORKSHIRE MOFO

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum