Countess Dracula (UK, '64)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Countess Dracula (UK, '64)

Post by Wallace on Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:41 pm

The title is a complete misnomer for this is the story of The Bloody Countess, Elizabeth Bathory.
Nothing to do with Dracula and nothing to do with vampires. (However they do - most erroneously - have a portrait of Vlad Tepes (whom Bram Stoker based his Dracula on) shown and we are told it is her uncle - ridiculous.)

The funny thing is that they avoided main points of this true story - points that would have served to heighten the horror: Bathory was responsible for the deaths of 600 girls (2nd only to the perverted killings of Gilles de Rais) and ,at one point she employed the German  iron maiden.
Also in making this film they avoided even use of the last name, but remained true to the first name and one or two characters.
Also , very strange, that in this telling, when the noble murderess was convicted she was hung. In real life she lived to a ripe age of 50, the last year of her life (1650?) being that of a prisoner walled-up from all contact with fellow humans save for an opening where here food was given and shit/piss taken out.

Perhaps the remaining Bathory line had hold over Hammer that it could not legally use the name.

So then historically chock-full of errors, yet well-done, as are a fair percent of  Hammer films .
Wallace
WALLY THE TOTAL FRIENDLY FRUITCAKE

Back to top Go down

Re: Countess Dracula (UK, '64)

Post by Guest on Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:36 am

Graham Masterson wrote a good horror based on ole Bathery....can't recall the name...anyone ?
Involved skinning lasses n such !

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallace on Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:20 am

Mr Dead-Below-The-Waist: 

I dont recall reading of skinnings. Elizabeth  and her crew would  strip a peasant virgil girl in the snowy Transalvanian woods and hang her upside down  from a branch and bleed her partially then leave her there yet alive. Bodies were found iced-over,still hanging.

In the movie the deaths are shown as being quick - jab of thin knife to the throat. But Bathory wasn't like that at all -she was  a real sadist as the three or four that aided her had to be as well. It was deeper than just the belief that bathing in blood - again, not shown in the film - would give her youth: she really wanted to torment those she deemed too beautiful.

Its an incredible tale. Many of these girls she  took in for "service". I mean 600 gone missing or bodies found over decades! They HAD to know it was her. Its not as if she was working some large city.

If Elizabeth had not this conviction that it had to be beautiful virgin girls, maybe she could have got away with it by bathing in the blood of old women that few cared for.(Actually in the movie  her lover brings her the body of an old street beggar woman.)

It all speaks of the ultimate power the nobility had. In the end it was nobility that brought her to justice - her uncle or summart, the Palantine Thorzo.

There is a painting of her - she was good-looking. looking rather like actress Deborah Kerr to my eyes.
Wallace
WALLY THE TOTAL FRIENDLY FRUITCAKE

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:12 am

Nah in the book the villain was a flayer , blood supper and abuser of lasses as it made her stay young...'the portrait ' I think.
The baddy worshipped ole Lizbath and also it were based on Dorian Grey.
Long time since I read it like. Good horror though or I wunta read it through....engines 50 page rule applies !
There were deffo shagging in it !  Twisted Evil 

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top