KEYHOLE (2012,CANADA)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

KEYHOLE (2012,CANADA)

Post by Wallace on Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:27 am

dIRECTOR gUY mADDIN'S FILMS ARE TOTALLY UNIQUE. mELANCHOLic,DREAMLIKE IN A VERY DARK WAY, EXUDING HOPELESSNESS.
They have a look all their own. Strange and sad are the words. (Probably his best known film deals with a competition between all  countires of the world to gain the award for 'THE sADDEST mUSIC iN tHE wORLD".

Ive seen 5 or six now. As I recall each one is shot in black & white. Oftimes shots are made -not in this particular movie though - as if portions of the camera lense were covered in Vaseline. Also this dreamy murkiness is in the soundtrack - what with muted recording giving a disconcerting haziness to all.

Not only disconcerting in plot, these twisted tales put to film are difficult to watch. I dont mean difficult in that there is ultra-violence or gore, but PHYSICALLY hard on the eyes. In this film, for instance a group of gangsters are holed in a small house inhabited by ghosts. The police outside (which we never see) are apparently waiting it out till the night & storm passes, but you get the impression the police are long gone - this happened ages ago and the gangsters themselves are ghosts amongst the ghosts of previous inhabitants of the house.
Okay - Im off on a tangent as usual. By disconcerting to the eyes I mean the play of shadow and light .Its almost as if a lighthouse is just outside the house -we never see any exterior shots- beaming light through the windows, casting shadows ON THE MOVE. Your also having strain on the eyes by  rapid sequence of frame shots and the general busy-ness of all the figures in the small space.There is much congestion. Of course this choked-up feel is created on purpose to make you feel part of this eternal ghost-hell.

Watching his stuff you'd swear he reads bizarre ,disturbing psychological-horror stories like Kalfka, Bruno Schulz and Landolfi.His monsters are all of the mind.

Strange for sure but fascinating?  No so much for me. I find his stuff rather tedious, like he is pulling the same strings all the time.
And rough-going trying to understand what it is he is getting to in these films.
I dont particularly like being swamped by a film in an artsie-fartsie type of way ,and being left like I'm stupid. That I didnt catch on to something others did.
Wallace
WALLY THE TOTAL FRIENDLY FRUITCAKE

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top