MESSIAH OF EVIL ('74, US)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

MESSIAH OF EVIL ('74, US)

Post by Wallace on Sun 9 Mar 2014 - 3:34

Im likely reading too much into this film. More than it deserves. Very dreamy ,surreal, but likely its just so terribly bad that it SEEMS to be planned surreal.

One thing for sure, it reminds me of the classic low budget horror film, Carnival Of Souls.

Woman comes to California seacoast town of Point Doon to visit her father who she has not seen in a long time. father's house is empty but diary is disturbing. Father was afraid of something "faces in the waves...bonfires increasing on the beach. I think my body is being taken over by some unspeakable evil that is turning me to..."

Errie atmosphere brought on by mainly night-time shots, ever-present sound of wind & crashing waves, shots of moonlit waves at night (if Wallace has any phobia at all, it is of being on a deserted beach next storm-tossed water in the middle of the night.) First-person narrative helps also.

I think one of the points - if any - that the film is trying to make is  how easy it is for a rather remote community to succuumb to something unnatural. How easy for evil to infiltrate. How this unnaturalness would slowly integrate NATURALLY,seemingly  entirely normal ,almost unnoticed at first.

First half of film piqued my interest until it began to be plain what is going on: suited men in the midnight supermarket hunched over the frozen foods meat section, children eating raw meat.

Yep...zombies.

After that it was less interesting.
Wallace
WALLY THE TOTAL FRIENDLY FRUITCAKE

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top