BERBERIAN SOUND STUDIO (Yorkshire! 2013)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

BERBERIAN SOUND STUDIO (Yorkshire! 2013)

Post by Wallace on Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:56 am

Even though this film distinctly ties in with all the Dario Argento films I bin reviewing of late, I'm not sure you can call it a horror film.
Morelike a "neurosis"-type film. Im brought to mind of something like Polanski's "Repulsion".

Gilderoy is a rather celebrated Sussex sound engineer for nature films.
Balding, short, non-descript, gentle and living with his mother, he is dropped into the less-sheltered, somewhat decadent and less-ordered world of Italian exploito film. A handsome, womanizing director of horror films specifically wants Gilderoy's name on the credits to give his Rome production "class". But Gilderoy has never done sound work for horror.
The film (which we NEVER see any footage of) is about persecution/torture of witches in byegone days.
The mild-mannered Gilderoy soon learns that they are out to screw him of the airplane fare to Rome, and its questionable that he will even be paid for his work - the Italian sound engineer keeps telling him things like, "You know how many people were willing to work gratis for the great Santini and how many were turned down?"
More worry ing, the gruesome content of the movie causes his fragile psyche to unravel.
When they come to the part involving recording sizzle-sounds to accompany the insertion of a red-hot poker into a witch's fine young yammy, the shy Gilderoy summons the gumption to protest he is not accustom to such  manner of film-making.

Gilderoy is of course only to be concerned with the sound aspect of things.
Beautiful Italian women drift into the sound boxes to record devil-voices, possession voices, dialogue. Their screams are not real enough for the Italian sound engineer.

Like I said, strange but not really a horror movie. No gore, no blood in the least. No murder at all. Just a man slowly going mad from the job at hand.

Its early 70's. Flared trousers and enough wall racks of bulky old analogue period sound equipment (Revoxs and such) to interest Karney for sure.

The makers of this film used the music- cleverly I thought - of the band Broadcast. A band who for the last two years have strived to emulate the old analogue electronic of things like Derbyshire and early  electronic rock bands like White Noise/United States of America/Silver Apples.
And three or four real-life European experimental, avant performance artists were used in the bit roles where they were recording unusual vocals, demonaic gibbering. The foley artist working alongside Gilderoy is a performance artist in real-life also.

Ending is subtle, swift, unexpected and, I thought, rather weak.

But most certainly a film like no other.

A film for ...sound engineers and lovers of vintage studio gear!
Wallace
WALLY THE TOTAL FRIENDLY FRUITCAKE

Back to top Go down

Re: BERBERIAN SOUND STUDIO (Yorkshire! 2013)

Post by Guest on Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:12 am

Shocked No shagging then ?

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallace on Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:28 pm

None at all.

(No supernatural either.)

(No zombies.)
Wallace
WALLY THE TOTAL FRIENDLY FRUITCAKE

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top