FARGO (1996, US)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

FARGO (1996, US)

Post by Wallace on Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:36 pm

Yes, I actually see this as a comedy of sorts. Dark comedy.

What the Coen Brothers are making mock of here is Americans themselves - specifically the retards they themselves were brought up amongst in their childhood in Minnesota.

MidAmerica retard-society.Your next door neighbours which  grunt , and speak like retard-zombies.

Totally cold people (and not just because of the weather) ; emotion sucked out of them by daily exposure to  blood & guns on telly shows & news.

A car salesman hires two thugs to kidnap his wife so her rich father will pay the ransom and he splits the money with the kidnappers.
Things go awyr and 3 people are murdered.

This is happening in a small town where Chatty-Cathy-type ,pregnant Margie is sherrif  and her sole deputy is distinctly outwardly hillbilly-like. I say outwardly, cos in the end, both prove to be extremely efficient cops.
Trouble is - nothing, absolutely nothing seems to phase them, or, perhaps even EVERYONE in the community. (These cops are the direct opposite of the cops I recently watched in the Wallender series. Those Swedish cops went to crime scenes alert, guns out, ...adrenalin-pumping...concerned for their own lives.)

So fully-pregnant Margie goes out alone in  6 inches of snowfall-wasteland looking for two killers. Her husband at home says nothing just makes her a breakfast egg and basically , totally-unconcerned, says "have a good day,honey."

Marge comes out to the snowy tundra to investigate the  three corpses - one a child. She begins to throw-up, but its not out of repulsion or any such emotion. "Morning sickness" she explains to the hillbilly , then she says something like, "I'll be okay once I get that hamburger into me."
Wallace
WALLY THE TOTAL FRIENDLY FRUITCAKE

Back to top Go down

Re: FARGO (1996, US)

Post by Lord Spewbutt on Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:45 pm

It is a brilliant dark comedy, but you are being a little harsh with Margie.  I took her excuse for tossing chunks and mentioning the burger as bravado, not cold heartedness.  Plus her relationship with her husband shows a very sweet side of her.  BTW, everyone sees it as a dark comedy.  If you like that you might also like Blood Simple, it has more complexity to the characters imo.
Lord Spewbutt
BIGGUS DICKUS

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallace on Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:53 pm

Oh yeah, she has a sweet side alright - as exemplified by the scene where she meets her old highschool friends ,the Chinese guy living home with his parents.
Chatty people always have a sweet side.

Notice in the film all the characters basically have no depth in their conversation. Almost childlike loss of emotion - especially the car salesman (well I guess thats a given - what with him being a used car salesman).
That very short scene where she questions the two whores is done so well.
Wallace
WALLY THE TOTAL FRIENDLY FRUITCAKE

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top