PERFORMANCE ('70, UK?)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

PERFORMANCE ('70, UK?)

Post by Wallace on Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:23 pm

cULT FILM THAT kNOBS IS WATCHING FOR FIRST TIME.
"cHILLING, PROFOUNDLY DISTURBING". nO, i WOULD NOT REALLY SAY SO.
nOT TOO IMPRESSED WITH THIS.

Flaws being mostly on the technical side: herky-jerky , jarring camera work is what is truely "disturbing" here.The very fast editing at the beginning.  Especially the sex scenes which are shot as if by a madman, total fast-forward confusion of body parts. Yeah, I suppose they slip this shoddiness under the rug by explaining: "But you dont understand. We are trying to portray the way this maniac hitman sees the world & sex!" Anyways, its disturbingly dizzying filmwork in places.

However on the plus side, excellent acting all round, especially with the bit actors like Valentine and hitman Chas' seeming only friend. Basically first third of film we dont even see Mick Jagger.

Gangster Chas enjoys "turning up the frightners" on his victims. Intimidation.
Tables are turned on the viscious Chas and he goes running from the mob (colouring his hair with red PAINT - can you believe it?) . He overhears a musician talking about this rambling building which an eccentric, recluse-type (but decadent) former rockstar lives in (Turner, played by Jagger). Chas , seeking a deep hideyhole, wedges his way into the basement apartment explaining he too is an artist seeking the "bohemian" life - but in fact he despises the hippy softness & decadence and drug-dependance.(The woman grows mushrooms.)
The mincing Jagger is living in the great ,cavernous  building in hippy-luxury with two sex-birds (Anita Pallenburg, being one). Also there is this maybe 10 year old boy who goes around in girl's clothing all the time and seems incredibly mature/streetwise - you just know he is going to grow up to be a force to contend with - a perverted  force that is.

Turner wants Chas out. One of the women is afraid of him ,even though chas made no overt moves  on her. But Turner is effeminate and Chas is former  mob muscle. Chas gets the better of him quickly. But then things in this bizarre household get real bizarre as Chas undergoes a loss of sense of reality and Turner proposes an experiment of changing roles.

Very interesting, unusual plot.
But, like I say, spoiled somewhat by the way this was filmed.

Last edited by Knobby Knobster on Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wallace
WALLY THE TOTAL FRIENDLY FRUITCAKE

Back to top Go down

Re: PERFORMANCE ('70, UK?)

Post by Permy on Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:30 pm

One of Karney-boyo's fav movies.. Absolutly ner taste man.

You see Jaggers Moog '3P' synth?

Permy
INSANE YORKSHIRE MOFO

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallace on Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:55 pm

Nay. Whe'ear barts?

Did ya sees me recut cleenin' marchine in viddy o' me listenin' rheum?

I didnae wanneur brag, so's ah made cammy pass ower it real quick-loike.
Wallace

Back to top Go down

Post by Permy on Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:10 pm

Jagger dances with Flourecent Tube ter his moog modular on der floor..

You got Nitty Gritty den?

Permy
INSANE YORKSHIRE MOFO

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallace on Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:15 pm

Yas.

But ah didnae wanna bwag.
Wallace

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallace on Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:13 pm

Thing is, there was no Moog Modular in the late 60s.Especially not in England.
When done in 70, apparently the guy doing the film score had one of the first 6 moog modulars made and he got it specifically for use in this film. (Not that I can make out much use of it AT ALL in the final product.)

Where this film DOES stand out is that it is the first realistic portrayal of this fabled late 60s flowerpower Chelsea/Carnaby-look FAUX scene. (I say faux, because thats what it was from the start, no? Fabricated scene, not so much from the music side of things as the fashion side. And even from the fashion side ,when you think about it, it was no big step forward - basically hyped Victorian/Edwardian richman-revival gone plastic and wotnot - if you ask me.)
Knobs says realistic, because unlike any of the (rather many) horrid Swinging London films that came before, this was the first that did not stress drug use or fashion or decadence - this is all portrayed as being cursory/everyday-accepted-almost. Performance is not milking the current fad. There are none of the usual street boutique shots for instance. No hippie groupings.
The film shows us this "new world" but does not Hollywood-ize it with exaggeration and glitz. Its all casual.

And it does not simply use graphics to give some clean,sanitized corporate-engendered idea of Swinging London as in some monstrosity  "genre" flick like, say, "Bliss Of Miss Blossom."

Instead of cheap nods to current fad,Performance,at the time of playing had spectacle going for it. Like the films of Lindsey Anderson, it DID shock, especially with the violence. Its debut in Los Angeles was total disaster. People couldn't come to grips with it.

Somebody there was a fan of writer ,Borges. The animation of the bullet going through the brain ends with picture of Borges. The  bit with Jagger reading from a book , is Borges.
Wallace

Back to top Go down

Post by Permy on Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:23 pm

Very Happy

Last edited by Karney-boyo on Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:05 am; edited 2 times in total

Permy
INSANE YORKSHIRE MOFO

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallace on Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:26 pm

Aye. How could Knobs miss that?

Musta walked outta the room just then.
Wallace

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallace on Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:31 pm

Just noticed: the beginning of your clippy above: that painting on the wall (possibly Borges?) was the one which the twin artists(?) previously REMOVED from the building cos Turner could not afford it. But now it reappears here BECAUSE THIS PART  is not reality, but madness setting in. Clever.
Wallace

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallace on Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:37 pm

So Karns, how do you take the end of the film, where its Turner's face in the car, not Chas'?

Remember when the woman laughs at Chas when he insists there is absolutely no feminine side to him as there is in Turner. Chas secretly desires to completely change character and become more like Turner. At the end there, where he willingly goes into the car most certainly to his death, do you figure he has gone completely off his stick and thinks himself Turner and thus not in harms way? Or have the muscaria mushroom hallucinations,etc. not completely worn off?

Wot yew fink?

Duz I gots it all wrong.

Curious open ending.
Wallace

Back to top Go down

Post by Permy on Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:14 pm

Yew sure it were Chas!

Permy
INSANE YORKSHIRE MOFO

Back to top Go down

Post by zako on Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:54 pm

I THINK ITS A CLASSIC ONE ABOVE COCKWORK ORANGE:
zako
NO LIMITS BUGGERY

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallace on Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:38 am

Ah'rm surprized you know this  film, Zako.

Wot wif you being an insular American.
Wallace

Back to top Go down

Post by zako on Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:17 am

WE KNOW QUALITY...
zako
NO LIMITS BUGGERY

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content