INNOCENCE (2004, BELGIUM)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

INNOCENCE (2004, BELGIUM)

Post by Wallace on Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:50 am

No, this  is not that exceptional film, The Innocents based on the Henry James horror novel, Turn Of The Screw.

This is something altogether different.

A beautifully-filmed "artsy" piece . Simple and slow, but even so ,engrossing because you have no idea where it is going.

What appears to be a self-contained world - 5 houses within a totally-walled  forested "park". These are exclusively for the education of little girls: botany & ballet...and that is all.

So many great films are told from a child's point of view. The adults - what few there are - within this  mysterious finishing-school  microcosm/trial learning utopia , are almost faceless in this film, not developed, almost unnecessary.

There are apparently no males in this  walled park - two older whitehaired women servants (who we are told will be punished if they do not perform correctly: for "Obedience is necessary for happiness."). Two young women seem to run the show and there is a distant headmistress of which we see little.

The girls are from 8 - 13 years old. When they become 13 they are lead out of the little paradise-enclave into where, the younger children are not informed. They do not know their own fate. They are fed well and taken good care of ,but they are not allowed to attempt escape. Two girls tried and ended up dead, but we are not told HOW they died - of their own blunder, or something more nefarious.
 This constant mystery  makes for troubling elements to the film.

At first I thought maybe this was a closed world because some plague had driven all the males mad on a killing spree, so some organization was trying to keep this seemingly select-chosen group of 5 houses of about 10 girls each safe from the outside madness.
But its not this - as revealed by the end of the film.

The main girl of the "story" arrives at this sequestered world IN A COFFIN. When it opens she is greeted only by little girls. Later she tells one of the two young women she wants to leave, asking where her brother is. She is told she will never see him again.

Yes, I WILL spoil it for you: nothing indeed is revealed ,even at the movie's end. Its all open to your own interpertation. The woman who made this film ,made it so on purpose,indeed has no explanations , believing that those films which stay longest in the viewer's mind, are those which the viewer had to partially (or, as in this case, pretty well totally) interpert for himself.

Everything is veiled in this film. Everything unexplained so as to leave the audience lost and not sure of the moral - even if there ever was one. Re-imagining for oneself, makes the film stay in the mind longer.
Wallace
WALLY THE TOTAL FRIENDLY FRUITCAKE

Back to top Go down

Re: INNOCENCE (2004, BELGIUM)

Post by Guest on Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:57 am

Another film spoiled !
I was gonna see that film n now you've told me all of it !!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by 12 inch Barlow on Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:25 pm

I saw this film too Mr. Engy. You ood wanna see it.

Long scenes of young girlies frolicken in the lek wearen only white pantoys.
The main actress-girl, in an intervioo said that when they were filmen this part, it was all done in 'un tek. The older girlies balked at haven ter goo topless, but the director-wooman convinced them otherwise. I suppose she argued that dem wearen wee trainers would goo anent the grain of "innocence".
12 inch Barlow
OUR KARNEY-LAD

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallace on Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:26 pm

Shirrup, Archie.

And don't post in me freds anymore!
Wallace
WALLY THE TOTAL FRIENDLY FRUITCAKE

Back to top Go down

Post by Jock Strapp on Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:42 pm